- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup French fried onions
- 1/3 cup cranberry Barley+
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Blanch the green beans by adding them to the boiling water. Place a bowl of ice water nearby. Cook 5 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon into the ice water. Green beans should still be bright green. Set aside.
- In a large oven-safe skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are tender. Add salt, pepper and garlic and cook cook one minute more.
- Sprinkle flour onto mushroom mixture and cook one minute. Slowly add the broth, whisking to create a thick sauce. Add in the lemon juice and cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix in the green beans and turn off the heat.
- Mix the fried onions and Barley+ and spread an even layer onto the green bean mixture
- Place skillet in the oven and bake 10-15 minutes or until warm and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
You can purchase your Barley+ products here: bit.ly/BarleyPlusMuesli